This chili can be made ahead of time and transported to the campsite to reheat for first night’s dinner. Use it for chili dogs–even meat eaters will love it!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and diced into 1″ dice
- 1 medium zuchinni, washed and diced
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1 large can (796 ml, 28 oz.) tomatoes, crushed or diced
- 1 medium can (540 ml, 19 oz.) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 medium can (540 ml, 19 0z.) red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 1/8 cup cumin
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 bunch cilantro, chopped
In a large pot fry the onions in the oil for a minute, then add next five ingredients. Sautee for about vie minutes. Add tomatoes and both cans of beans. Stir and cook over medium heat for about 15 minutes, then add the last four ingredients. Simmer for another fifteen minutes. Serves four for bowls of chili, and 8-12 as a topping for your chili dogs. Can be garnished with plain yogurt, sour cream and/or grated cheddar cheese.